Thursday, September 11, 2014

Emma Gene is One Month Old!

 Emma Gene you are the sweetest baby!  Who knew babies like you existed.  So far your first few weeks have been much less overwhelming than I anticipated.  Granted it has only been a few weeks.


Let's see, first off you sleep like a champ.  Although you are not near as sleepy now as you were during your first 2 weeks of life.  You get fussy a few times a day but most of the time you are easily appeased with just being picked up or some soothing from the vent hood fan.  You love to be rocked and bounced.  Although you are a bit of a challenge to get to sleep at night.  Sometimes it takes a hour or two for you to finally cave.  You are sleeping pretty well at night.  You usually wake up 2-3 times a night to eat.  It took a bit of figuring out how to get to you to sleep well at night too.  You really hate being flat and on your back.  We tried swaddling which helped a little.  We tried the rock n' play which was awesome until I read something about it causing babies heads to be flat.  So finally But I finally cracked the code, you are a tummy sleeper.  I know I know, back is best.  But you love being on your tummy.  You also love to be held.  Which I try to do as much of as I can.  I'm going to blink and I won't be able to hold you like this anymore.



So far breast feeding is not near as challenging as it was the first go round.  You are an okay eater. You are a little bit lazy and you sure do leave a lot of milk behind.  Eating is definitely not your first priority.  You eat about every 2-3 hours.  Throughout the middle of the day, most days I have to wake you up to feed you.  You wake up just enough to eat and then you go right back to sleep.

We have already made several outings out of the house and so far you are excellent when we are out and about.  You stay very content in your car seat or carrier, asleep most of the time.

Here are all your stats so far:  at your two week check you you weighed 8.10 lbs and were 22 inches long (99th percentile, you are one long baby).  You are still fitting into most of your newborn clothes, except the pj's.  Those you outgrew in week one.  You outgrew newborn diapers in week one too.  So you are in size one diapers already.  You have tons of long black hair and blue eyes.  I'm praying those blue eyes stay!

You are such a good baby!!  You are so little and precious so I'm trying to soak up every little moment that I can with you.  I know how fleeting these moments are now.  I can't wait to see how you change in the next month.  Here's hoping you continue to be my good sweet little baby.












Our first selfies! 



           
      

Hehe, this two make me laugh.



You have already had a ton of visitors!  I got so lucky that your Aunt Page and Uncle Justin were going to be traveling to Texas around my due date.  The Sunday after they arrived in Texas you were born.  So a few days later they came down to Houston to meet you.  Aunt Page was a natural!  Emily and Brian were making their second cross country trip, from Seattle to Durham this time.  They decided to explore the southern part of the US and came all the way to Houston, Texas to pay us a visit.  We are so happy that they were able to come and stay with us for a few days.  I think they got a good dose of reality and decided to enjoy their kid free days as much as possible.  :)





Your big brother Weyland is falling into his big brother roll just fine.  Every morning his first request is to see you.  "Where's baby sister?  I wanna see her."  That's typically what I hear first thing every morning from him.  He loves to hug you, kiss you, pat you, and just look at you.  He is very fascinated.   Granted things are not all flowers and sunshine in the Cook house.  There are times where his hugs are closer to smothering you and when he thinks putting a blanket on your face is just fine and dandy.  He has his moments but overall he is a great big brother and loves you so much.  He loves to tell me "I love my baby sister.  She's my best friend"  Oh my goodness, talk about melting my heart!




No comments:

Post a Comment