Saturday, September 29, 2012

Being a parent is no joke

It all began with the dreaded 4 month immunizations.  After a great 4 month check up and a fabulous lunch with the girls you I noticed Weyland was very lethargic.  It's not like Weyland to allow me to sit through lunch undisturbed.  So after sitting through lunch and going to a little boutique down the street with Weyland still not fussy or awake I started to worry.  Then I felt his head and he was on fire.  Oh crap!  So I rushed home and checked his temp right away and I thought for a second my thermometer was broken because his temp was getting up to 103.  I kept yanking the thermometer out before it beeped because it was really freaking me out.  Now, 103 is very high for anyone but for a baby it is dangerously high.  Anything over 100.4 for a baby is no bueno.  So we called the pediatrician and after waiting a long 10 minutes without hearing back David and I decided to go ahead and just take him to the hospital.  When we got there they took his temp and we discovered it was 103.9.  Yikes!  They gave him some meds and did a full work up on him.  Blood, urine and even a chest x-ray.  And nothing.  They found nothing.  Which was a relief but then why the fever??  No one knew.  Oh and it only took them 3 times to successfully draw blood, thanks people!  So after his temp dropped to 100 they sent us home.  After a sleepless night for me, Weyland finally woke up at 5am and the fever had come back.  He was at 102.7.  So I gave him some tylenol and back to the ER we went.  We didn't want to risk it.  Again his fever went down so they sent us home.  It was like that for the rest of the day.  Fever went up and then down, up and then down.  Finally I got fed up and called our pediatrician for an appointment.  He evaluated him and looked over all his labs and decided we needed to eliminate the possibility of an appendicitis.  So back to the hospital we went.  First stop, radiology to get an ultrasound.   Which was painless, but pointless because Weyland only poops like once a week (totally normal apparently) and there was so much poop in the way they couldn't see his appendix on the ultrasound.  Ugghh.  Next stop, radiology again, for a CT scan.  This process was much less painless unfortunately.  Doing a CT scan meant that they had to inject him with contrast so they could see his appendix, which meant starting an IV, which meant more poking.  Great.  So we went back to the ER to get an IV started.  More waiting and more screaming.  Luckily it took only one try this time.  After getting the IV and the CT we had to wait an hour before getting any results.  And finally a gazillion hours later the results came back negative, no appendicitis.  Thank god!  So back home we went.  His fever finally broke that night.


Took some pictures after Weyland's temp dropped and he started feeling better.  Had to document this occasion with pictures.

Day One at the ER



Feeling better...or so we though


Day two at the ER

Poor little guy getting his IV day 2.  This was not fun :(


But the question still remains, why the fever?  I blame the immunizations.  There is no other logical explanation.  Of course this happened to me a vaccine skeptic.  In no way would our bodies normally fight off more than one disease at a time.  You don't get measles, the flu and chicken pox all at once.  But when you get immunizations that is essentially what your body is going through, getting exposed to multiple diseases at once.  There has got to be a better system for immunizations.  Why so many all at once?  I know that I need to protect Weyland from harmful diseases that there are no good treatments for, or that are really deadly to babies.  But do I have to allow him to go through what we went through yesterday and the day before to protect him from diseases that statistically he will never get?  I have a lot of contemplating to do before his 6 month immunizations come around.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! Don't give it to him again. Which one was it?? Don't you already have him on a delayed schedule?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I went ahead and just did the regular schedule. I couldn't find that much evidence that the delayed schedule would pose any less risk, but now I'm starting to think I was wrong. It was rotavirus (oral), Hib, DTaP, polio and Pneumococcal. I'm really scared what for his next 6 month shots. My pediatrician uses a lot of combo shots. She he only got 2 pokes and the oral rotavirus.

      Delete