Saturday, September 8, 2012

Nap time blues

I keep telling myself that nap time is going to get easier, but I am starting to doubt myself.  Every day we battle, Weyland and I.  And most of the time he wins and I give in, pick him up and let him nap on me.  I feel like Weyland is old enough now that we should have some kind of nap time routine in place.  Maybe he is still too young and I am placing too high of expectations on him and myself, I don't know.  This is when I really need the baby version of Cesar Milan (the dog whisperer, love him!)  to come to my house and tell me what I am doing wrong.  Why doesn't that person exist?  So Weyland likes to fall asleep while eating or after eating, like most babies I'm sure, and my dilemma everyday is do I let him fall asleep so at least he gets a nap or do I keep him awake so we can play and then I can put him down for a hypothetical nap.  The beginning of the day I start out strong and he eats, we play and then I try to get him to nap.  But usually he just screams or stays awake in his crib.  I then resort to the swing and he sometimes falls asleep, but for only about 20 to 30 mins.   So the next feeding he is tired because he didn't nap so keeping him awake gets harder and harder.  And the cycle continues.  So my will power gets weaker and weaker.  And I have hardly any strength left to sit in the living room and listen to him cry in his crib or his swing.  In general he fights sleep and has to cry a little bit before falling asleep on his own, but this is prolonged crying that makes my heart ache.  So any advice or words of wisdom from my mommy friends out there?

2 comments:

  1. Parker and Weyland seem very much alike :) I would sit for 2 hours straight with him on me, just so he would get a good nap. Although it may seem frustrating, just embrace that time and get really good at typing and googling with one hand hehe. That's also where the Bjorn came in handy...then I could at least use both hands to do things. Just try not to think of it as a burden, but snuggle time you will never get back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, you are right! I need to cherish every snuggle that I can now. I'll try the bjorn again for nap time too. Thanks!

      Delete